Thursday, March 09, 2006

30.

We did it!

So, Legal Theory ended late for both classes, and we had to rush down to the Forum to get it all started. After I discussed the rules with organisers, got the safety aspects sorted out with the team, and finalised the entry order, we went for it.

And then it was just one mad minute of squeezing and shoving and pushing and breathlessness and tightness and general discomfort.

Then we emerged from the vehicle and tallied our numbers. Official count for the first attempt: 24. Good, but below target. And I knew that we could do better than that. So I talked to the team, and we decided to go for a second run.

The second attempt was even crazier - by then, we'd gotten the order down pat, and it was just a matter of compressing people even more. Minimising the empty space between bodies. Fitting the human jigsaw puzzle together.

This time, we hit 30. Happy? You bet!

And I was amazed to see such an outpouring of support. So many people came down to watch us, to cheer us on, to help us push people into the vehicle, to even spontaneously jump into the vehicle. When I saw the poster on Tuesday morning and made the decision to form a team to compete, never did I expect so much enthusiasm and support from so many people - and not just people from my immediate circle of friends, but also beyond. Somehow, along the way, it evolved from my personal quest to win a share of the $888, to a fun event involving Law School. And, truly...it was a rare moment of camaraderie. And at that moment...I felt proud to be part of the faculty. Like I belonged.

So many people to thank. But, just to name a few - props to Chong Yi, Daryl, Eugene, Winston, and Venetia for being at the bottom of our taupoks. And to all the guys for bearing the brunt of the weight. To Marie, Huiling, and Rui, for taking on the weirdest, tiniest, compartments. Especially Rui, for helping me to contact everyone and co-ordinate the people to make this happen. Also, thanks to everyone who had LAWR at 12.30pm or 1pm and managed to squeeze the event into their very tight schedules. And all the girls who risked compromising positions and unglam photos to squeeze into the vehicle. And everyone who came to support us, just by your presence or by helping us to push people into the vehicle and close the doors. We couldn't have done it without you all. And last, but definitely not least, thanks go out to Jean, for telling me "hey...can ah!" when I asked her about the competition, triggering this whole shebang.

Photos when I manage to grab them off people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home