Monday, January 23, 2006

So what if I'm busy?

I'll just have to make time for stuff, no biggie.

Anyways, I went down to the clinic with my dad just now to get my eye looked at, because I was fairly sure I'd seen a white spot under my lower eyelid. My dad came with me because he wanted the chance to chat with Dr. Koh; he's an old family friend. After waiting for about an hour, we finally went in to see the good doctor, who bantered with my dad for a bit, then got me to check out my eye in the mirror with the aid of a flashlight and show him the spot.

Of course, there was no spot.

So, after checking three times on Dr. Koh's prompting, and feeling extremely sheepish about it, I finally sat down. The good doctor chuckled, and told me that I had the beginnings of an infection; of course, I hadn't noticed this because of my pre-occupation with the non-existent spot. I suppose my lack of a medical education had something to do with that too. As he put it: when the window was open, I had been looking for the flamingos, whereas he had noticed the sparrows. Cute.

So, no contact lenses for the rest of the week, and I've got this weird goop I'm supposed to smear on my eyes thrice a day.

And apparently, soft lenses have a greater tendency to irritate the eyes; on top of that, they come with a greater risk of conjunctivitis. And I just got a new batch of lenses too. Shucks.

Oh, and we talked a bit about the Word, and his perspective on taking short-cuts to material gains. Always glad at a chance for theological discussion.

In other news, we sprang a surprise birthday celebration on Jean today. Not as elaborate as the Rui one last week, but still a success! For the Rui surprise, we booked the moot court, got Big K to lead her in where the whole lot of us were gathered, and Jean sang her a birthday song with Jon Lau on the piano. For Jean, we set up an ambush at a strategic spot along the walkway outside the Students' Counter and got Rui to walk her along the corridor from the Biz canteen. When she turned the corner, the first thing she saw was the whole lot of us around the cake and balloon - she didn't expect it at all, and Lester's plan worked to perfection! And, a big happy birthday to Venetia too; I'm glad to have met you, and I'm looking forward to our next session of Munchkin!

All in all, it's been a pretty good start to the week. Work isn't fun, and everyone has the enormous spectre of the statutory memo hanging over their heads, but it's been a great start spiritually and I can't help but look forward to the rest of the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home