Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A fresh outlook

Took my exchange buddy and her friend out today. Brought them to Holland V, showed them around the area. Had lunch. Went down to Bugis, shopped with them. Took the train back to Clementi with them; showed them a bit more of the area before we parted for the day.

The funny thing is, as I was showing them around, I started to realise how many things I take for granted here in Singapore. The friggin good food - and not just good, but cheap, accessible, and varied. The pubs and cafes to just chill out with friends. The 24-hr eating places, for late-night munchies. The places to shop - from the little pasar-malam style stalls to the modern malls and departmental stores. The hustle and bustle of the streets, full of local life and character. The low crime rate. The clean streets. The ever-present greenery, breaking up the urban landscape.

And most importantly...the local sights and sounds, the unique mix of the old and new. Where the sleek and modern co-exist with the traditional. Where East meets West. The links between the past and the present. How scenes from our past continue to reverbate within our contemporary city-state. The integration of so many different cultures, creating a society recognisable in its component forms, yet in itself a unique entity. This diversity is integral to our culture and identity - yet it's something that we tend to forget about, to overlook, to just take for granted.

I've always thought of myself as very Westernised. And that's probably true. Still, as I was showing them around, I realised that end of the day, I'm still so fundamentally Asian, so fundamentally...Singaporean. That we may whine and complain about certain things about our country, but ultimately...it's our own. Our unique little red dot. Where we call home. And if we don't cherish it...who will?

I haven't felt this way for a long time. But today...I'm proud to be Singaporean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home