Friday, November 17, 2006

Bush meets Little Dragon.

So, I was flipping through the papers today when I came across this picture.


Ho-hum. Boring right? Just two heads of states meeting for a friendly chat?

Look again.


Well...we're starting to tread on sticky ground here, because the last thing on my mind is being hit with a slander suit. (Hello, FEER!) Sorry folks, but one must compromise freedom of expression to, well, cover backside. As opposed to covering ankles. So, let's just leave it at that. You can ask me personally for my opinion if you see me.

Incidentally, CNA ran an article on it. (Yes, I grabbed the photo off CNA. What, you think I'm so free to cut out the picture from the papers and scan it in?) Note their caption under the photo: "US President George W. Bush shares a laugh with Singapore’s Prime Minster Lee Hsien Loong". Heh. A laugh indeed.

On the other hand, here's an article that suggests that the show of skin might actually be an intelligent, calculated political move to draw attention away from substantive issues. And recent unpopular initiatives (7% GST, anyone?) do demonstrate that He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Slandered does need to throw up a smokescreen to hide behind, since Dirty Harry seems silent so far on the issue. But such a conclusion might be giving The Powers That Be too much credit. Or not. Who knows?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home